Saturday, January 28, 2012

Cauliflower Pizza Crust

or Cauliflower-Crust Pizza

I've seen this on Pinterest from a few different sources. The one I used was really good: Eat.Drink.Smile. This was the best homemade pizza I've ever made. I even burned the edges and overcooked the cheese. The burned edges weren't good. Haha. But other than that, it was really really good.

Go to the link for the basic recipe. But here are my tips and additions.

First of all, tips:
-I recommend prepping the day/night before and then doing everything else the day you want to eat it. That means, rice the cauliflower and cook all of it (freezing the extra), and either chop your veggies or shred your cheese beforehand.
-Also, I don't have a food processor,  but I do have a Cuisinart Mini Prep/Chopper thing. It worked great, I just had to do the cauliflower in batches. So actually, now that I think about it (ha!), if you have a food processor, you may not have to do it the day before! It'll go a lot faster in a food processor. Yay for you. :)
-And when microwaving it, do it for 4 minutes, stir, then another 3-4 minutes.
-Use parchment paper on your cookie sheet. I don't know if you'd still need to spray that w/ non-stick or not. Normally you wouldn't, but it might help in this case.

Second, my additions:
1-2 tsp pizza sauce  (or any sauce)
8+ pepperonis
3/4-1 c. mozzarella cheese, shredded
4-5 slices of a lg tomato
1/2 red bell pepper, diced
1 can mushroom stems & pieces, drained and dried w/ a paper towel (or obviously fresh would be better)
1 Tbsp butter
dash of salt and onion pwd
pesto

-While crust bakes, saute bell pepper in butter for a few minutes. Add mushrooms, salt, and onion pwd. Saute until they get a little brown.
-This order onto crust: sauce, pepperoni, sauteed veggies, tomato slices, cheese. Spread pesto around edge of crust.
-Don't let it burn! :)

1 comment:

Kirsten@My German kItchen ... in the Rockies said...

Hi Heidi,
Thanks for your visit and comment on my blog.No, I am not an old lady yet, but I still enjoy the traditional recipes of my home. Glad to hear you do, too.
I have cauliflower sitting on the counter top for tonight's dinner.We will have pasta with cauliflower, capers and anchovies. I like the idea to use it in a crust.
Greetings from Colorado.
Kirsten