Monday, July 4, 2011

Artwork on my Countertops!

Even though I'm not even close to being finished, I have to post some pictures of my latest project b/c I'm so excited! I'm following the instructions from Pretty Lil' Posies on how to do faux granite countertops using PAINT, found here.
My inspiration:
Sorry for the blurriness. I tried.
My other inspiration came from a piece of Silestone (I think) at Lowes or Home Depot that looked like white granite w/ flecks of glass-like light green. And I love green and white. (Sadly, they don't let you take home samples of silestone, like they do w/ Corian.)

1st Step: sanding
It was really hard to get a good picture of the sanding,
but can you see the streak?
2nd Step: primer
Please forgive the black marks on my stove. I did clean it,
but my pots and pans leave black marks that take
some major elbow grease to get off.
Pulled the stove out to do a test-run on a small space of countertop.
The primer dried pretty fast :). And it only took me about 10 coats to cover up all the ugly forest green! (I don't really know how many times I went over it - it was more than 3 though - but it really did dry fast, nonetheless.)

3rd Step: SEA SPONGE & CRAFT PAINT!
I put the gray down first, 2 different shades.
The craft paints also dried fast, which made me really happy because I was/am so anxious to keep going and finish!
Can you see where the counter and the backsplash come together? The sea sponge doesn't get in that space very well. I suggest using your fingers to fill it in.

Before I added the green, I sponged over the gray with 2 different shades of white. The gray is supposed to be minimal and kind of muted, so I wanted the white to cover up a lot of it. Plus, with just the gray down, it really looked like I just sponged on some gray blobs, instead of looking like the flecks in granite.
Again, sorry for the blurriness.
I snipped off a tiny bit of the sea sponge to do the green with. Then I used my fingers to make streaks here and there. In Kelli's tutorial, she and her mom used an old, kid's paint brush from those watercolor sets. I didn't have one, so I had to improvise. Although, I think her idea would probably look better.
Next Step: go over again with more white. Lots more white, so the green looks more random.

No comments: