Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Quinoa for Breakfast or Dessert!

I first heard of quinoa (pronounced keen-wa, thank you Wendy :) ) my sophomore year in college, almost 10 years ago (yikes). Professor Terry (brother of the Terry's in Perrysburg) had been studying it / doing research on it down in some remote parts of Mexicio or South America. He talked about it a lot, but back then, I had no connection to it. Now, of course, it's one of those superfoods that health nuts are all excited about. Okay, not just health nuts. Lots of people, me included.

Tonight I tried to do something Indian with it, that did not turn out well. Luckily I had some plain, cooked quinoa left so I made a much tastier dessert with it, that would work well for breakfast too.

Fruity Quinoa Yogurt
1 serving

1/2 c. cooked quinoa
1 4-oz container vanilla yogurt (my favorite is Activia's vanilla)
1/2-1 tsp honey
1/2 c. chopped fruit (strawberries, bananas, raspberries, grapes ... any fruit would work I think)

Stir ingredients in a bowl and enjoy!

-You'd think the yogurt and the fruit would have enough sugar in them to make the whole thing sweet, but quinoa has a definite savory element to it, which I think tastes better when masked by a little honey. Start with 1/2 tsp and see how you like it. I like closer to 1 tsp best.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

I have never made successful quinoa, which saddens me. Oh, you can also pronounce it keenwuh. When I eat others' quinoa, I love it! This sounds great!