Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Blueberry Feta Pancakes

I am not a fan of pancakes. But I heard about these on Food Network's show "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" (Aida Mollenkamp's favorite breakfast from some restaurant), and it piqued my interest. Something from a restaurant that I could make at home!
I don't really like pancakes for this reason: they have a bitter-ish taste to them. And all the recipes I looked up for homemade pancakes called for buttermilk (the bitter tasting culprit, I believe). So I looked up "no buttermilk pancakes" and found a couple recipes that I combined, adding blueberries and feta cheese. And even if you don't like feta, I think you'll like these pancakes. The feta for some reason tastes like chunks of cream cheese in the pancakes, but w/ a feta consistency. Here's what I came up with, with the help of FN, Aida Mollenkamp, some restaurant, and two online recipes:

BLUEBERRY FETA PANCAKES
(makes about 8 lg pancakes)

1 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 tsp salt

3/4 tsp vanilla
1/2 c. each cream & milk (1 c. total) (or 1 c. of either one, depending on how rich or lean you want it)
2 Tbsp butter, melted
1 egg (optional: divide egg and beat whites in separate bowl, then fold in later*)

1 (4-oz) pkg feta, lg chunks crumbled more
1 (12-oz) pkg frozen blueberries (or about 2 c. fresh)

In mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients. In small bowl, combine vanilla, cream and milk, butter, and either the egg unseparated or just the egg yolk for now. Whisk wet ingredients. [Optional: In lg (clean!) mixing bowl, beat egg whites until thick. *Now fold whites into wet ingredients. Doing it this way will make your pancakes really fluffy.] Pour wet into dry and whisk. Fold in blueberries and feta. Turn griddle to MED-LOW (low & slow!). Use either a little butter or canola oil on griddle. Pour lg scoops (I use my 3/4 c. measure) of batter onto griddle to form pancakes. They will be almost ready to flip once the edges harden some and the center begins to bubble. Wait another 1-3 minutes, then check for desired golden-ness. Flip. Wait 2-5 minutes until bottom is golden. Serve w/ Yummy Syrup.

**Strawberries: can be used instead of blueberries. Use the same amount, but chop into more bite-size pieces. Batter (if using frozen strawberries) will be runnier and will take a little longer to cook. But the effect is a strawberries and cream cheese pancake. :)

No comments: